Monday, July 30, 2012

Dazed and Confused

Pop quiz time!

The question is: what foods would you eat if you were eating solely for optimal health?

Once upon a time, I thought the answer to that question was something that all medical and scientific experts agreed upon. I didn’t know the answer, but I would have guessed that it had something to do with the Food Pyramid and that it included words like “whole grain,” “low fat,” and “high fiber.” But then something funny happened. I lost a large amount of weight and found that, in order to keep it off, I couldn’t consume very much in the carbohydrate category. By this I mean bread, pasta and potatoes, often referred to as starchy foods. Yet when I looked at the Food Pyramid, I saw a recommendation that a significant portion of my daily intake should come from these types of foods.

Huh?

This just didn’t make sense to me when I compared it to my first-hand experience, so I started to look elsewhere, hoping to find the answer to my nutritional dilemma. After four years, I’m still looking. It’s not that I can’t find any data on the optimal way to eat – there is almost too much data out there – but rather that I can’t find any agreement on the subject.

Among the voices shouting out are the traditionalists, advocating a “sensible” low fat approach with plentiful servings of whole grain carbs, the very diet by the way that seems to make me gain weight. Conversely, there is the low-carb crowd, some of whom are quite adamant that starchy foods, especially refined sugar and flour, are the foodstuffs of the devil. Another group of folks are proponents of ancestral eating, sometimes called Paleo or Primal, which is based on the idea that our digestive systems have not evolved as quickly as our technology and so we should continue to eat the way ancient humans ate. And I can’t leave out the supporters of a whole foods, organic, locavore way of eating that rejects all industrially processed edibles. Many of these ideas resonate with me, the low-carb thing for sure, but also the idea of eating real foods that have not had all of their nutrients manufactured out of them. Yet they can’t all be right.

As if all this isn’t confusing enough, we develop individual food religions as well. For example, my “no-sweet experiment.” It’s only been about a month since I started my little research project, but already I can feel the orthodoxy of it hardening around me. Just last weekend, I was at a birthday party and I agonized beforehand about whether I should eat a piece of birthday cake. Would it ruin my experiment? Would I bloat up overnight? And would eating it shatter my “no-sweet” integrity? All this over a piece of cake, for a concept that I MADE UP about a month ago.

I’ve come to the conclusion that no one really knows the right way for human beings to eat. What works for me, what keeps my weight low but also makes me feel good, is a low-fat, low-carb approach without too many sweets. If I can keep some perspective on that and not get too dogmatic, I think I’ll be okay.

I think.

5 comments:

  1. I know people who swear by Atkins but I still have no idea how a diet that's heavy on fat accomplishes anything. For whatever it's worth, the diet my doctor has me on for cholesterol (and that works both for that and for losing a few pounds in the unlikely event I stay on it) is based on prescribed numbers of servings each day of carbs, proteins, fruit, vegetables, dairy and fats. Everything is designed to be part of the balance. What's a serving? Depends on the food. Let's put it this way: it's a good diet, but you'd better like working with numbers or it won't work.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have trouble having to juggle numbers every day too. I have a basic meal plan that my nutritionist gave me and I use that as a guide. I'm sure the calories vary from day to day, but in a small range.

      Delete
  2. I think this is part of why I gained back all of the weight I initially lost. I went looking for a way to eat more inclusively (and less hard core, low fat/low carb) and became completely overwhelmed by the information. It's no wonder that people get so confused they just give up and keep doing what they've always done (even if they know it's not the best for them). When one person tells you to eat carbs and the next tells you to eat none, or one day a study comes out telling you that calcium supplements can cause heart disease, and the next day one comes out refuting that, what's the general public to do? If we could find a way to cut through the clutter and just do what works for us as individuals, I suspect we would be a lot better off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned in my reply to Ben, I have a nutritionist that I see regularly (every month or so) and that helps SO much! I'd highly recommend seeing one. The only problem I have with seeing her is that my health insurance won't pay for it for because I'm not sick. And I'm not sick because...? Fortunately, it's not expensive.

      Delete
  3. I hear you, Sandy. Neither the last time around nor this one will be covered by insurance. But, like you said, the end results are worth it!

    ReplyDelete