Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Eat

In my last post, I noted that, when confronted with evidence of the role of the environment in promoting obesity, the food industry’s response was to cast it as an assault on freedom. And there is nothing more American than freedom, with an obligatory side dish of apple pie, except of course for our national hard-core case of “you’re not the boss of me.”

I also suggested that perhaps the government had failed us in their inadequate response to the role that the environment plays in skyrocketing obesity rates. You might think I’m condoning a nanny state, but don’t most of us support sensible regulation to ensure a safer, healthier environment? Like, keeping the air we breathe and the water we drink free of toxins? Or making sure that the bridge we’re driving over doesn’t fall down? And the plane we’re boarding doesn’t crash? Who would oppose regulation to make sure that hospitals and prescription drugs don’t kill us? Why should food be any different?

But what about this idea of food freedom? That people should be able to eat whatever they darn well please without interference from the government, their doctor or any other well-meaning ninny. I have no quarrel with this concept, though I will note that when we get sick as a result of eating stuff that’s bad for us, most of us are perfectly OK with the government (or anyone else for that matter) helping us get the care we need to recover. But getting back to the idea of food freedom, here’s my question.

Are any of us really free when it comes to food?

When I was fat and indulging nightly on ice cream, cookies, chips and other high-fat, high-sugar, high-salt fare, I don’t remember it being an experience of freedom. I did not say to myself, “Gee, I choose to eat a half gallon of Cherry Garcia tonight.” What I remember is a sense of desperation. That I had to eat these things. These were foods I craved, longed for, dreamed about. The experience was more one of addiction, like a smoker yearning for their next cigarette or an alcoholic plotting their next drink. Some may scoff at the idea of food addiction, but all I can say is, don’t knock it if you haven’t been there.

As I struggled to resist the siren song for my next food hit, the food industry seemed more than glad to play the role of pimp, deluging my senses with seductive food advertising, plying my imagination with larger-than-life, color-enhanced images of succulence, glistening with butter, smooth and creamy, mouth-watering, artery-clogging ecstasy. It’s enough to make you wonder whether food manufacturers really want us to be free or if their real desire is that we buy their products at all cost, even if the cost is our health.

Don’t get me wrong. Each of us is responsible for what we put in our mouth. But when you look at obesity as a public health issue affecting all of us, thin and fat, is it so crazy to ask that we support each other in making the right choices? Is helping our fellow man such a radical concept?

In the end, true freedom of choice means being able to say yes or no to any food set in front of you. If you are eating something because you can’t resist it, you are not free. You could be the unwitting victim of a food industry jaded enough to use your deep desire for freedom as a means to enslave you.

4 comments:

  1. Your addiction simile is right on, Sandy. It's a phenomenon that may be largely American: food as 30% sustenance, 70% recreational drug. We sometimes eat because we're really hungry, but mostly we eat because it feels good.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I think you give us too much credit. I'd say more like 10%/90%.

      Delete
  2. I was put on a low residue, low fiber diet for 6 weeks before surgery. Which means if its not good for you eat it. I gained a 10 pounds back not by over eatiing but by eating white flour products, candy, soda, ice cream. After surgery and its been 6 weeks. Im on a high protein, high fiber diet, tons of vitamins as directed and the taste of salt is plain horrible. However I have lost that 10 pounds plus another 10 easily.My meals are more rounded and healthy. I eat one well balanced meal a day. Simply because that is all I can eat. I also was not a fruit eater and now thats my sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph! Nice to meet you! I've had the same experience with refined flour and sugar - just makes me gain weight like crazy. Hang in there with your new way of eating. It is worth it!

      Delete