Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Duality

There seem to be two camps in the world of food beliefs. One says a calorie is a calorie. The other says all calories are not created equal. I’ve been in the second camp for a while, for as God is my witness <holding clenched fist in the air>, one hundred calories of say, ziti, do not have the same effect on my hips as one hundred calories of say, spinach. I don’t have any science to back me up on this, but I do see the evidence that shows up on my scale. Yet, if I were to get into a heated discussion with a “calorie is a calorie” person tomorrow, I would not be able to convince them of my position even if I brought a two-foot stack of peer-reviewed clinical studies with me. When it comes to food, we believe what we believe and no one better try tell us otherwise.

Here’s another dichotomy. Some people eat to live while others live to eat. Again, I’m in the second camp on that one also. In fact, that’s much of what this whole weight maintenance journey has been about for me, trying in vain to become an “eat to live” person. As opposed to what I have been for most of my life, which is someone who reacted with extreme shock and dismay at the discovery that all of the ice cream was gone. It’s just so darn hard for me to see food as nothing more than fuel. Regarding food as simply nutrition seems a lot like living in a world that has been scrubbed of all color until all that’s left are muted shades of gray. Gray food is not appetizing at all. But then, now that I think of it, maybe that’s the point.

Another twosome: you do know that some people are cooks and others aren’t, don’t you? In other words, there are those who get goosebumps at the thought of buying a new paring knife. Just as there are those who’d rather all the messiness was kept behind the kitchen door, a perfectly delicious meal magically appearing before them. Actually, I am both of those people at different times. When I’m tired, at the end of a work day perhaps, I want my dinner and I don’t want to know about all that slicing and dicing nonsense. But sometimes, on a weekend or a day off, I can really get into cooking. I’m not a baker at heart and I don’t care much for elaborate recipes. What really excites me is when I have a bunch of leftovers that I find a way to make into a particularly tasty dish. That’s how my husband’s favorite chicken sausage and zucchini soup was born.

There’s another thing about cooking. When I cook, the experience of eating is better. It’s not merely the obvious, that when I prepare a dish, I can control what’s in it – think home-made stir-fry versus Chinese takeout. It’s something else, something intangible. I feel more connected to the food. The food is more satisfying. It’s not just something to be consumed, but something worth spending time with, something to celebrate. I don’t think there are too many calories in the celebration part of food.

Which brings me back to my original point that a calorie is not a calorie. And food is more than food. I’m a pretty logical person and the muddle of all this drives me crazy sometimes. But perhaps I protest too much. For while good nutrition is clearly necessary for survival, a meal savored, in all of its meaning and mystery and paradox, is crucial to any life worth living.

6 comments:

  1. This spoke to me om so many levels!

    The whole thing about cooking. The satisfaction of cooking and creating something great out of leftovers. Just tonight I walked by the Chinese takeout in the grocery store, decided it all looked too fried, and came home and made a bowl of "fried rice "out of leftovers and some precooked brown rice. So yummy and satisfying on multiple levels


    LOVE your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Chinese takeout, but it is so full of stuff that's not good for you. Just one of many things I rarely eat anymore. I'm glad this resonated with you.

      Delete
  2. We are birds of a feather....I agree with just about everything you put in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what's so great about blogging, finding other people who "get it"!

      Delete
  3. I think a calorie is not a calorie if one is insulin resistant or the like.

    And a calorie is a calorie if one just has a few pounds to lose.

    Sometimes a calorie is not a calorie and the person just isn't there yet. Sometimes it depends on which end of the scale the person is currently located.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a really good point. I think there has to be something very different going on with someone who keeps losing and regaining the same 10 pounds and someone who keeps losing and regaining the same 100 pounds. I just can't believe that the biology of those two people could be the same.

      Delete